Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Deconstruct week of 2/21 - kids and technology

I think it's so random when you hear little kids (2, 3, 4)say big words. My son has one of the My First Leap Pad's. ALthough he's still young, it's interesting to watch him play with it or any technology. He also got a "kid's laptop" for christmas which consists of buttons for each letter of the alphabet. Is this really technology? I see the cause and effect with my youngest son (almost 2) he hits a button and understands it does something, talks etc. With my 3 year old, I wonder about the technology. Does it do any good? Some people think because I'm tech savvy I would have my kids on computers as soon as possible, but I don't necessarily think that does any good. I see how fast they pick it up but I don't necessarily see a reason to start them at 3 or 4, just when they want. WHen my 3 year old uses the leap frog, he more thinks it's cool and likes to play "bob the builder" song. Is this a good use of technology? Yes, he hears the words and sounds but he hears those from us when we read to him several books each day, plus then he gets the added benefit of asking questions. I find that he loves to read books but I try not to get caught up with just finishing the book, he likes to talk about the pages, and the pictures he sees and ask questions, how does a leappad or similar device assist? They can point to some different things on the page and get some interaction, is this good?

I do see how fast they figure out how to click on the green circle on each page, for example or how to change cartridges, but this isn't specific to technology, just how fast kids learn, they are sponges. I think maybe when he is starting to read maybe there might be more value in hearing the words while trying to read.

Are the pre-k technology tools beneficial? What does the technology add that is worthwile or unique to the technology?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home