Saturday, February 12, 2005

Deconstruct Week of 2/7

I recently spent the week doing out of town training. Part of my training consisted of classroom training and the other part of my training was one on one coaching sessions with the upper level of executives/administrators. While working with a particular person, a few questions come to mind
1 - Are we all really capable of learning the same things?
2 - What makes some people so much more prone to learning certain things, than others?
3 - Why are certain people particularily inept with technology?

I have always been a believer that the common element surrounding most people's differences in learning technology was attitude. Although some times other factors come into play such as age, lack of exposure, etc.

This particular incident, made me realize that although attitude was a factor, as was motivation, also I wonder if learning styles are a factor? I wonder if how a person processes information affects how they try to process learning technology. If they are a "memorize the steps" type of person, they are overwhelmed by different steps of if a menu changes.

Furthermore, how do we teach these people that do want to learn technology but their brain doesn't seem to think that way. What ways can we help them understand? What can I explain to them which can help ALL their technology adventures? How can they get past this phobia?

Some ideas I have had. I think that an overall dumbed down understanding of the computer is a starter but from there, how I'm not sure how to make it easier. I can give people the basics, teach them how to do only what they need to do and try to give them something to play with for the next time I meet with them. An area to explore that we will focus on the next time. Also I think the relevence of what they are learning is important. Maybe some basic kind of reflection might be good, I think if I could get them to do it verbally because I don't knwo if I could get them to take the time to write it. It could be a recap. I also think having some kind of an IEP for each person is important and could be a good learning tool. Appealing to all the learning styles I try to do, I tell them what were doing and explain it, show them and have them do it. I try to make it as self directed as possible they get to pick the topic and what they want to learn about. I can't think of any other things to do to enhance the learning except for maybe having more clear cut goals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home