Tuesday, January 04, 2005

A New Year, a New Blog

OK, I have resolved to blog more consistently this trimester.

Today I had a meeting with someone I provide contract training for. We talked about some of the technology training I provide and how there are so many little nuances about software programs and how you can be exposed to them in training but not necessarily remember how to do each little thing. How does one solve that problem. It seems that you don't really learn something until you need to use it in a real life situation and when that time comes, you are in such a hurry to do it, you spend all the time doing it the "long way' instead of investing time in finding what the shorter way to do it is. How does a technology trainer accomplish this problem? I can teach tips and tricks all day long and people will ooh and aah over them, but will they remember them when it comes time to actually put them to use. If they don't, how can I help. Contacting me isn't the answer, but rather creating some kind of an "always there" community. This actually reminds me a lot of my ARP. How do I decentralize the knowledge I and other possess so many people can access it any time and quickly. Knowledge base comes to mind. Seems like there is an opportunity here for me at this company.

This reminds me of the article that learning/training must be, relevent, timely, and useful. If this organization is to become more computer efficient/literate, individuals must learn and also become more effective in their usage of programs.

1 Comments:

At January 10, 2005 at 9:06 PM, Blogger NAIS Community Blog said...

Great resolution! I need to join you in this one. As for the problem you stated, very common across the board. It is sad that MS has invested heavly in this type of help (help menu in most programs) and have done an excellent job. The sad part is that no one uses it. What makes me think that if I create a self help it will be used? All I need and want to do it pick up the phone (they think). Yes, I am also very frustrated by this.
CB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home