Monday, September 06, 2004

Painting....

Brief description
My husband Tim and I decided we would pick colors and paint some of our house today (labor day). We agreed on the colors and purchased the paint. Tim and I started our painting together but that didn't last long.

I think I'm a little afraid to write this...

I think I learned about myself I'm not great at taking direction. Tim wanted to give me some pointers on painting although we've done about the same amount of painting, Tim tends to have a specific way to do things. This is not bad but it just is the way he is. I have to accept that. He proceeds to tell me a few things before we get going which I bite my tongue. Then I tell him he makes me feel like his "inferior" by telling me how to paint. Although I truly believe he didn't mean to do this, I believe 2 things are at work. I'm being defensive and he's being too particular. We start to paint and after a few more directives, I quite and say I'm not mad but he can paint and do it how he wants. We are both happier. So now I'm blogging :)

What I learned.
I think my reaction to this is similar to that of other situations. First, as a self employed person for nearly 8 years, I am very indpendent. I am a typical self employed person in that I don't require a lot of specific directives to accomplish a task, I'm very motivated etc. On a negative I don't always take it well when people tell me what to do, husbands or others. I feel insulted like I already know that or could have figured it out myself and feel like someone is trying to control me. Not always the intention of the person. I don't think I always act like this but sometimes I definately do.

I need to be mroe open and recognize this and tell people I'm working with about my tendancies. There was a database project this reminds me of too. One I was in a little over my head on and the directives I was receiving from the project manager were very frustrating for me. I felt very defensive and very stressed.

That's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home