Wednesday, February 16, 2005

deconstruct week of 2/14 - friends and family

So I'm the tech person of my friends and family. I get most of the question from people when something doesn't work right or they don't know how to do something. This is fine, most of it comes quite easily for me, although I'm not sure why but I know by taking on this role I become more and more of an expert because I get exposed to more and more scenarios thus having more experience and furthering my expertise. Anyway, similar to my situation last week how to enable these people to take on the learning of the computer themselves. I'm happy to coach them along but how can I enable them to be learners and to try to construct knowledge, not have me "fix it" for them or "write down the steps". I don't believe this is really learning at all, rather it is just solving a problem or a means to end. I try not to " do things for them" like a good teacher, although I must admit sometimes trying to explain something to someone over the phone is more than any person can handle.

What would a real "intro to computers" look like?

If I were to design a curriculum for this type of intro learner, what would it be?

The big ideas would be
1 - learn the basics of the hardware of a computer, understanding that you can't know everything.
2 - Understand that predominately software is all the same. Point out the similarities like open, save, close, help, format, menus etc. Once the similarities are apparent maybe the thoughts about each software problem being completely unrelated won't be as prevelent.
3 - UNderstand the hard drive and file structure, directories and the operating system.

Sometimes the little things like versions of software and different commands and software names get people completely overwhelmed. Like I might be overwhelmed if I were to start working with engineering or some other field for which I wasn't familiar. I understand why this is hard, because there is so much depth but certainly there are ways to work within a subject and operate at a more peripheral level not be an expert but each time you work with the computer continue to construct your knowledge and build on your past experiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home