Monday, March 07, 2005

Attaining Course Goals

Course Goals: Each student will...
1) create his/her own essential questions regarding learning objectives and teaching objectives (these questions should evolve through reading, doing, discussing, reflecting, exploring, succeeding, failing, picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, and starting all over again)
I think have definately progressed in this area of questioning learning objectives, however I also think I haven't quite articulated it yet. I feel the questions are culminating but I don't have the words yet. I feel like the final project will be the culmination for me for defining some of these questions. I do feel I have a much better grasp on curriculum in general. The ABC's exercise and the U-101 was invaluable for me. I think the questions, although these may seem generic, are "deceptively simple" to coin Dr K's phrase. What are the big ideas of the learning objectives? What experiences can I either offer or simulate that will help them construct this knowledge? Does technolgy add value? Can it add value?


2) create authentic tasks which incorporate technology skill(s) in a learning/training situation
This is a hard one for me to pick apart or distinguish for some reason. I feel like this is one of the things I already do and since the majority of what I do IS TECHNOLOGY training, it is hard for me to distinguish not incorporating technology. The biggest reinforcement I have gotten through this class in regards to this objective is, authentic experiences are crucial. In much of the training I do, fake data or fake companies are used. I have been a HUGE proponent of using real data whenever possible and feasible on the classes I teach. The difference in retention that I have seen has been tremendous. I didn't have the words or the theory to support why I thought this, but now I do. Although, pure constructionism is idea, the reality is that often times these training engagements which I lead are short in time and the best case scenario is to have real data to use in the simulation which is still better than fake data altogether. I have learned the value and have become more adiment in my feelings about authenticity but also realistic that it isn't always feasible.

3) incorporate reflection of personal use of technology as a learning tool (intended or unintended) for the self and those in the immediate surroundings through blogging (we will discuss this in class #1)
This has been fun for me. I must admit, sometimes I really have to think hard about this but I've had some fun deconstructing some everyday situations and thinking about the learning or teaching part of the situation. Not all of my deconstructions have been technology related but some have. I have really learned a lot. As I'm re-reading this goal, I'm remembering myself processing it differently, not necessarily with technology attached so I think I've focused more on the learning itself but this has been fun.
4) identify when technology is and is not an appropriate tool for learning and/or communication AND be able to articulate the reasoning for making this judgment This one is hard for me as well, since again almost all my training and teaching is actually training on a technology product. I do think I have broadened my scope on this, however to be able to think critically about how technology enhances an experience or maybe IF it enhances an experience or not.

5) identify what is really being learned by the use of technology in particular situations
I definately think this goes hand in hand with #4. Being able to articulate when technology is a good choice also means being able to articulate and understand when it's not a good choice. Again, these have been the harder goals for me with my background but I do believe through the course of this class, that I have begun a process of deeper understanding about this. Another application of both of these objectives is when and when not to use technology in general. When does it make sense and when doesn't it? Some people just assume, always use technology, and I must say I tend to be a little that way but understanding when it makes sense in every day life is also important. When is it more effective or when does it bring value to the situation and when does it unncessarily complicate it?
6) meld the first 5 goals into the culmination project and be able to articulate where each of these goals lives within the project during an on-line presentation
TBD
7) be prepared to examine, revisit, construct, and deconstruct the following questions and your answers...
Guess we are doing this now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home